Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Great Australian Spirit


Bread has always signified a certain sense of comfort for me. Symbolically at primary school age, it was the bastion of my mother's version of "someone to watch over me" as I pulled out my lunch box dearily to meet my peanut butter sandwich while I eyed enviously at the mee goreng that my classmates were busy showing off around me. Although much of my school days' recess time was spent rowding up the boys to play tag (again) with me and schemed on ways to dispose my bread lunch wisely so that my conscience didn't nag me on the ride home, secretly inside my heart, this humble carbohydrate had a reassuring sense of your being provided for, that somebody cared to ensure you never had to go hungry.

Throughout my tertiary years and experience working and travelling overseas, I had, as an adult, began to enjoy the myriad of versions the unassuming bread. Today, the Turkish loaf, French baguette and the ever popular roti canai (crispy on the go for me please!) rank high in my list of must-have when it comes to the question "what can you eat every day?".
Despite the ongoing popular fad diets that had targeted even my gentle loaf of assurance, my dedication to this essential providence of nutrient (white, mixed grains, wheat, I eat 'em all) never waned because it represented something beyond food for me. It consolidated all the memories of warm winter fires, a hot mug of chocolate, melting butter and good times, glowing skin and happy laughs. Bread is my lighthouse in the mist.

In your comfort, it's so easy to lose yourself in the artificial cocoon of safety. The lie that our minds tell us repeatedly that no matter how hard the world has evolved, ours will be one that will hold all that is true and certain forever. Yet, if you wake up from this daydream, you don't have to have a tragedy to understand what a basic human conscience can do - that relating to another's suffering is more than "you poor thing". It's like cooled caramel in the way it sticks to you and it needs confrontation, recognition and understanding on what's our stand on such issues.

Which in this moment, my thoughts go out to the ever steadfast people of Queensland, and to Australians far and near. I urge you to get on the many sites appealing for donations - search "Queensland Flood Appeal" and you get your pick - even the humble a kennel bed for a dog is appreciated! Chug in the coins, draw in the Dollars. This has never been a better time to lead and teach our youngs the spirit of giving outside of the Yuletide Season. Don't be shy to round up the grocery bill, add on a few more. Encourage each other to roll up the sleeves. Put aside our State differences and come together. Every ounce counts. Every bit is valued. Hundreds of thousands have volunteered to clean up the aftermath. Even the Australian Summer of Tennis didn't sit idle - great legends and talents come together to rake in the donations, matched by Corporate citizens.

We can't imagine the pain, the loss, and the challenges ahead. The tears may dry, the streets may be clean again. Yet we know Australia will never be the same once more - because not only they have proven themselves to be the ones that always get back up, that they are indeed the more resilient and hardier from this, and the whole world knows and backs all of you up.