Monday, August 16, 2010

Check Point


I think it's a fair point at our 15th month of travel that I sit back and look at myself. Not so much about how far I had come but more of the acceptance of the fact that you need to get out there to appreciate in a "the grass is always greener on the other side" (in this case across oceans and deserts) way that home is that tad special because of what it is.

Occasionally I think about the crash landing I would experience when I return home. For our case, it's going to be a whirlwind celebration with family and friends in Malaysia before we move on to Australia to begin our new life settling down to some much desired day-to-day schedule. That will take place after spending Christmas with my family before the reality of looking for a job and a place to stay takes form.

I've mentioned previously that one takes huge pride in what people in countries far and wide from your own postcode remarked about your country. It's a big thing and I only come to appreciate since getting out of the box that I had become so comfortable in taking for granted. You also begin to take a new look at your existing social network. You see for the first time, clearly, who real friends are too.

Besides the values that you take up, discard or hone, you also start to realise that part of the territory of partner travelling entails jolly high times as well as working out your differences. Prevailing through the tougher times seriously do some good to your own personal development as well as your partnership. Together you work out what the future will be, how it will look like, how you both take on the unexpected and shape it to be the best one for the world of the two of you.

Most of all, you cherish what you are coming home to. I miss my dogs, and I am so glad that I have the luxury of daydreaming about our move to Australia, how I will long for the chaos these two boys will cause as we drive and camp along our way from the West towards the East of this great big country called the biggest island continent. How we will work through finding lodging, managing feeding times (for both humans and dogs), laughing at our own silliness and enjoying just that particular moment in time.

This is what sustains me. And for that, I am all the more grateful.

And there is always the thought of getting another dog to join our little pack!