Sunday, February 27, 2011

From Bar SaVanh To The Laundry Room



Dealing with customer relations officers can be laborious, or something akin to a test of nerves, maybe a measurement of your vow of patience is indeed a virtue, or all of the above.

It's been a busy couple of weeks with plenty of milestones. I have just achieved one a few moments ago by moving successfully through the guerilla jungles of answering (and coaching the Q&A session in between waiting periods fuelled by xylophonic rendition of mind-numbing music) a series of enquiries to land myself onto a post-paid mobile plan. Besides feeling the exhilaration of being locked up for the next 12 months to a contract and the sweetening desirous rewards of a bonus option (only to be rudely had my bubble burst by my IT / Mobile savvy hubby's feedback) on per second vs. 30-second block call charges, and a $5 rebate, I had navigated myself through the explosive terrain of contractual mobile negotiations and the embarassing realisation that I couldn't run too far (in a case of I can't really hide) from making a deal with the telecommunication devil.

We also celebrated my dad's big 60 in a week filled with plenty of gastronomical debates, tucka, and well, more tucka. At the very least, a fattened duck was lovingly roasted and sliced into wafer-thin pancakes deserving portions while we laddened our creations with some good yellow-bean paste, washed down by a magical mix of salivating wonderment and a can of Yeo Hap Sing Chrysanthemum tea. There was also a drive up to the countryside in which we took the senior folks and our dogs for a delectable breakfast amongst lavender bushes cutting through the greasy waft of lean bacon, scrambled organic eggs (no doubt those happy chooks running free are popping them out as easy as ABC) and warm puffy heaps of scones sliced in the most un-Victorian approved etiquette. More cream and jam please.

The dogs got their G.I. Joe haircut because all the matted material must go and my Westie looked very much like a joey on four legs. Tommy had been challenging the Alpha rank (again), hence getting himself into plenty of sessions that resulted in me sounding like a caffeine-addicted schoolmaster lecturing that rebellious teenager on the horrors of peeing along the fence. Well, at least he hasn't taken on graffiti.

There were also heaps of family get-together with my brother and his wife, more cakes and apple green tea and cosy Japanese cuisine purveyor discovery. Also we are being greeted with more fresh produce from the season and I am happily devouring the colours of nourishment from as varied as my selection can go in line with feeding our growing little one. Really experiencing some fancy movements now and I reckon at times, my womb did feel like a garage practice session for a future rockstar on the drum set. Other days, it's a giant hall albeit rounded, for an aspiring martial arts exponent.

But overall, motherhood to be for this mum2B is one beautiful journey. I love, despite the nagging aches of your body adjusting to the expansion and contraction of muscles to accommodate your growing needs and provision for your baby's comfort, the feeling - that rush - you get when you see your hubby's hand touching so gently on the blossoming parcel of miracle while Skype-ing with relatives across the Seas, or when he bends over to greet a morning kiss, and when he talks to the little one at bedtime. Life's moments are made of unexpected wonders such as your child throwing back a knowing hand or foot at your adult hand's touch, almost telling you that you'll be all right, we'll figure it out along the way and have heaps of fun doing it.

In between plenty of bottles being opened to celebrate these milestones, I discovered too that being pregnant came with the honour of being the nominated skipper every time we go out. Your dogs don't really care if you waddle like a duck as long as you take them out for their walks, although I seriously have an issue bending over to leash them up now. Here's a quick thank you to the squatting Buddha pose while I'm at it. Don't give up, improvise!

We got our 4D scans too and the results from our last check-up got the professor's good nod. Can you believe that the baby's nose changes since? We are spotting a cute button-nose now and my hubby can't be happier. I should take that as a compliment to how much he loves mine huh? *smile* Our baby is already a yoga baby - both in session with me as well as showing off (this little performer!) during the ultrasound. We think too that the sleeping pose is very much taking after us too. And of course, being the parents, we think this is absolutely the most gorgeous baby we have ever seen and feel so privileged to welcome into our world.

As I roll over to do the side get-up this morning, I hear my hubby loading the wash in the machine. The sun is shining brightly on a day when England is taking on India in the World Cup Cricket 2011. We are making fish porridge tonight in hope to detox from our week's of indulgence. Our tummies are still side-twitching from the laughs we had from recollecting all the funny stories of days gone-by where we had one too many Vodka and to see red plums substituting the code to the temple of our souls.

Pausing at it, I must agree, it has been one long journey and I'm feeling that the best is yet to come.

Can't wait!