Sunday, October 9, 2011

What My Daughter Taught Me


It has been an exciting period for Myla and me as she is growing exceptionally fast each day. Every night brings forward another day of precious sharing with my little girl being big and generous with her smiles and plenty of vocalisation regarding her letting me be aware of each and every of her feeling and emotion.

What amazes me is the very consideration that this little being is strongly in tune with her wants and she unashamedly asks for what she deems as crucial for her well being, moment to moment, unrelentingly consistent and assured.

I read amongst my books that part of her communication development at this stage includes her working our how to relate using her face, body language and babble. It does not matter that she does not speak English yet, she expects herself to be perfectly understood. Her feelings can be clearly seen in her facial expressions and body language.

Also I was taught that until she is much older, maybe even as a preschooler, she does not know how to "fake it" - all emotions are pure.

That struck me as being the strongest validation of a child's trust in you.

Of course I think she is my perfect child. My "perfect" child does have her beautiful days of brilliant smiles, coos, and hugs. She, my "perfect" child has her episodes of inconsolable cries, her 5-minute ritual vent before being tucked to bed, her temperamental decision regarding bath time. My "perfect" Myla is always happy to welcome me after waking up, she cries for me when she dreams a shade too muddy for her liking. My "perfect" little baby loves the world around her, dives into every exploration with full passion. She is indeed, an extremely perfect example of living life as it was thrown at you once.

In the best, most full on, no depth untouched, degree.

As we grow into adults, somewhere along the years passing one another, we seem to have lost the finesse of communicating earnestly. We mask our feelings. We hide our intentions. We edit our words. We correct our thoughts. We deny our instincts. We resist living bravely. It is life lived as one big masquerade ball.

Between lovers, parent and child, boss and employee, in-laws and the Law, we all somehow got more comfortable working along the lines of blurriness, we preferred to walk on the path of the common even though it took us down the wrongly navigated direction.

A child, at this stage, incorruptible and valiant in her effort to be understood, taught me the critical talent of speaking your truth.

That itself, is courage in all nakedness, and all its brilliance shone above the discolouration that I had somehow, crawled myself out from, each and every time I look at her.