Tuesday, November 1, 2011

My First Melbourne Cup


The traditional day of excess and decadence in which the controversial use of animals for the love of human spectatorial love of sport merge in one solid moment on the gladiatorial grounds of 3200m.

My first Melbourne Cup 2011 and mama dressed me up in a lovely frock before we joined other mummies and babies at Auntie Geetha's MIL's gorgeous home to sip champagne and nibbles as well as partaking in a sweepstake that mama almost won to only see her horse (or was it mine?) to drop from a heady second place start storming off to an abysmal third and by the time the last curve turned, it was time to do the TAB common sight of raising your arm with the losing horse's ticket in hand and crushing it into a crinkled ball before tossing it out into oblivion. Of course mama was much classier than that... she kept that in my baby's book to remind me possibly some time in the future of my first foray into gambling... ah, the thought that counts!

But it was all about gathering in the spirit of fun and laughter and we bubs did a roar of a cry when made to pose in the beautiful house's drawing room. I mean, check the facts right? This wasn't just any beautiful homes in Mosman. It's the so-beautiful-that-it-does-a-triple-turn-taekwondo-flying-kick-bust-your-face-silly-knock-your-wits-scary beautiful with its plush green surrounding and glorious sun-filled room, we could not have had a more spectacular marquee to stand under on our heels (yes, we wore our heels, vain mummies that we were!).

It's a great Australian institution and I'm just thrilled that I got to spend it with my lovely mama (she looked gorgeous in her fascinator, I want to grow up fast just to be able to wear it like her, I want, I want!) and other mummies and baby friends of mine.


All images courtesy of Nele Verboven