Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Do I Bore You?


The railway coolie fought the onslaught of arriving passengers, their muscles rippling like old tree trunks as they balanced with deft poise bundles of bags and boxes above their heads and the train brakes puffed out like a giant "Pete, the dragon" unhappily announcing another long journey ahead as we cut across the country. The snow pellets dropped many weeks ago while the dusty grains of sand in my plate had dried up many memories in the past. I woke from a dream that was not so long awhile when we rode along the dainty muddy plains of quilted padi fields, spotted by mynahs that swooped around like fighter jets. Only that this too, felt like so far away now. I remembered aiming my lens at a family standing outside of the departing train, tears and waves mixing in a humid, crowded way that seemed so natural living in this part of the world. A goodbye was promised with a note to announce of safe arrival. Then as quickly as that farewell party built to its climax, it vapourised into fine mist that cooled off the night. Still more waiting, more mosquitoes that buzzed around my ears, teasing and flirting with a game of deadly accuracy - who got who first - either they perished under my thunderous claps when my palms made contact, or they would have to suck my veins dry.

Meanwhile my inbox screamed off updates from families and friends at home, wherever home dictated it to be through various courses of activities of our loved ones, close and far. Wedding preparations underway, passing of dear ones, some Christmas holiday updates, and a persistent note to enquire if we had succumbed to stomach troubles. It's amazing how life moved on with so much melodrama and exciting squabbles while I woke up to a mix of ridiculous disbelief at how wonderfully chaotic everyday for the last few months had been yet it all seemed too... "normal" too.

Perhaps I got into the groove of long term travelling. Maybe I'm not "vacationing" anymore. Possible that I am getting addicted. But most of all, I know at the end of whichever the destination is, I will be utterly gobsmacked at the incredible opportunity bestowed on this simple life of mine.

In a way, not so bad to keep living the dream. Waking up time will come. If this is boring, then it's pretty cool too...