Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Postcard: How Big Is Your Bladder?


He was from Amsterdam. Asked me point blank.

I learned quite a few things away from the warm assurance of my own bed. For many people, places and unexpected happenings that I will be grateful to for no reason other than they all (whether they realised it or not) made me a better and wiser person, more contented definitely.
Like the homeless smoker who stole hubby's backpack. Lock, stock, and barrel. You could think after that stupid 10-hour train ride that you would be fuming but heck, we threw our arms back like Moses bearing the Ten Commandments' tablets in joy for a family friend that had no need to take us in at that hour of the day but they did. We walked out from the showers to a cozy dinner setting of candle lights and Northern France yummies.

How about when they all want to just touch you, grab and shove you, beg and coerce? For the hardest part, I will always have India to thank for making me more gritty and more thankful. You really learned to see through the surface and understood life can get as good or bad as you want it to be. We've seen some situations that couldn't be worse yet also some spirits that shone like the strongest, humblest candles in a dark, devilish storm with no promise of a better day ahead.

And you find that you will encounter weird, and I mean seriously serial pigeon-hole professionals that seemed to be an expert or generalising sergeant on places and people that they had never been or seen.

"All Asians are out to con you", "They all want to show off their new wealth", "Ang Moh (Caucasians) just don't respect our culture at all"...

Oh yes, did I mention that we will all die on a plane crash?

Some of our best mates with the sharpest wit are Germans. Southern Indians are not "lazy". Not all Chinese "eat dogs". Some never want to leave their homes, while others were travelling into the unknown to run away so that they can find themselves again. We met a former youth Nazi who happened to be a lonely old man that loved skiing, that we ended up sharing dinner and some insightful conversations. I saw children of Mumbai that taught me of the future. I learned that love can really change a person.

Magic moments do happened. You always will have enough to survive. This too, will pass. What you have is now. Breathe. Laugh. It really doesn't matter because each side has what they think is right.

Is it worth stressing over yoghurt? Maybe yes sometimes, maybe sometimes you actually have to. Other times, you just have milk.

Many travelled for reasons that aren't mine but nonetheless true. Every time I meet new people I tell myself that no matter how bad or weird, good and fun, you can always take something away. You never really leave a place being the same.

So even if you have a tall, burly Amsterdam lad with a dead-pan attempt at humour, you stop thinking how much "friendlier" the Scots are (and they are one of the best people in and out of the UK that I have met) and just asked if that lone arrival wanted to join us in a group for dinner.

Even if the size of my bladder was no business of anyone's!