Wednesday, November 19, 2008

What Is Your Vice?


I get no kick from champagne, mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all, so tell me why should it be true, that I get a kick out of you?
- Cole Porter, USA

Unless your name is Champagne! Short of being so naughty before dusk, my absolute decadent vice is to enjoy a crystal glass of Veuve Clicquot Hommage a Madame and reminiscing Jamie Cullum's take on Porter's cheeky lyrics. It is funny how a simple measure of liquid gold represents in its most innocent pour the breaking of all rules that bound my little life.

I feel it is an adulterated decision, a personal and private enjoyment, a celebration of your own self, spending time with yourself, smiling without really smiling at (no, not the alcohol at doing!) - in short, just being liberated and not having too many "what if", "why", "who" and friends bothering you for just a moment.

Now if only that jar of foie gras is easier to open...