Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Gathering


If I can send the flower of the German nation into the hell of war without the smallest pity for the shedding of previous German blood, then surely I have the right to remove millions of an inferior race that breeds like vermin.

- Adolf Hitler, Germany

What perpetuated such extremity? Why am I still reading the misunderstood issue of a governmental social grant of the building of a factory (French business) with the support of Israelis? Why is the bigger part of our nation confused (still) with the suffering of the Palestinian war with not the suffering of humanity, but religion?

Today's gathering had been an interesting one for a long time. There we were, sitting amongst friends and colleagues, yet questions of gender-biased hand shakes, the cheek-kiss between women (was it two times or three?), and the politically correct topics to ask (and avoid), who's an introvert profile and vice versa. How many languages can you balance to ensure you get the racial mix at the right equilibrium? How about the halal-ness that hung in the air without your Chinese mind thinking "where is the pork stew?" while another can of beer bit the dust. Many appeared to be c'est la vie about it but who knew what might be stewing inside their hearts and minds? Certainly not stewed pork (but oh gosh, the good old days of how grandma's kitchen smelled so good of them...)

Had it always been this way? I remembered a time when all I cared about was how many of my friends liked the jelly that my mum made... of course that was my first ever hosted birthday party (my perfect excuse to invite the boy I had a crush on without letting the cat out of the bag - he ended playing only with the yellow bike that my dad bought me) but as much as I had fun this arvo, I couldn't help noticing what it would be like for our children in generations to come. Because we are bred to sit properly together and have our meal at the table? Blind to race, religion, gender and income tax bracket?

Why make a big deal when pork is not served, yet the utensils are not "certified"? How about when beef is served instead? Are we not "offending" others that abide to the same thing that drove yours - faith? But then again, was it self-centeredness that drove you to become ignorant of that issue?

And the primary school crush I had? I decided a girl had got to move on!