Monday, August 3, 2009

TravelINSPIRE: Scottish Highlands


I'm playing with this idea of a travel series format. But being my usual self, and a typical "Orange" type of personality I pretty much rush head-on into the thing with a religious conviction that it's a good idea, and if we ever require a Plan B, then we'll think about Plan B along the way.

It's not so much about trying to do something different but I wanted something kind of a "yeah, that's how I want to call / talk about / name it" wax lyrical to shine on some of the most astounding experiences in my life. Today takes us, my dear readers, to the generous raw beauty of the Scottish West Highlands. This was taken along our long drive that started all the way from Edinburgh to almost the Northern-most tip of the Isle, as shown here, specifically near Unapool. There we were, just two bushy-tailed jetters speeding off in their little Peugeot in no man's land.

Taking some research pages off www.bravenewtraveler.com we came upon such spots fondly known as cairns. A traditional practice that spanned back to centuries. It's not native to Scotland but here, it could have been adopted as early as in the early 13th Century with meetings of clans in which O'Connor was inaugurated in the cairn of Fraech, the son of Fiodhach of the red hair. Whether deemed as a road marker or a sign of respect, belonging, or deterrent, there soon become even an old Scots Gaelic saying of "Cuiridh mi clach air do charn" which means "I'll put a stone on your cairn".

I was taken in by how this place conjured up a spooky peaceful feeling inside of me. My poor man found it just... spooky.

Oh well, you can't always win them.

But that aside, this is a stunning site. The entire hill looked down to a long flowing Loch (by this time, I have lost count and track of their names and numbers). A late lazy afternoon sun hid and sought cheekily amongst the balloons of clouds. This place carved a sense of respect of the elements in your psyche and you probably won't want to toy with the idea of breaking out into a "Thriller" dance routine amongst the cairns, just in case, you know... they were really there for a particular purpose to mark out some ancient sites. I do believe in parallel worlds moving amongst us. Better not to tempt Fate.

Funny isn't it. One can say this was just another green plain with pristine scenery,  rocks attempting yogic balancing acts and nowhere on your local brochure even pointed it out. But you felt like you've stumbled upon something-kind-of-a-wonderful.

Travel does that, I think. What do you think?