Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Staying Grounded To Yourself


The state of severance of union with sorrow is known by the name of yoga.
- Bhagavad Gita, India

I have always naturally found an affinity with Vrksasana since the beginning, even before I knew how to do a downward-facing dog pose (a what?). In the sea of faithful students who embrace the dog, I choose to stand firmly and find my grounding from Tadasana, strong and steady like a mountain before I embrace my love of the tree pose.

It never has been easy and still today, remains a challenge for me to perfect the art of enjoying my downward-facing dog pose, although I am loving the upward-facing version. For a while I felt as if something was wrong with me, "was I not feeling the peace?" enough kind of mode to grasp at the question running through my mind - why was it so hard for me to master the downward-facing dog when the others around me are barking it out proudly?

Then I realise that some asana are meant for me. Some come naturally and I find that in the sea of swaying trees, mine was the strongest one. Unwaveringly focused, serene, the union of opposite pulling forces from heaven above, and the earth below, reinforced and supported by the energy I received from around me as I bowed my head in reverence to my honouring myself.

Thus, I found my own happiness. Namaste.