Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Carpe Diem


A happy life is one which is in accordance with its own nature.
- Seneca, Rome


Woke up this morning to a friendly gecko of a personal butler. He bade me a good night as an introduction last night and proven his worth. Dawn broke to a furious ochestra of competing cockerels as I walked into the villa's pool. The heavy humidity in the air sent off a cloud of mist off from the edge of the pool as I laze in casual laps. The mist almost looked like it was carrying spiritual wishes for a day of adventure ahead.

I was lying high above the Ayung Valley, and right here, on my pavillion's pondok, I was brought back to the morning of my childhood that I had taken for granted, but never forgotten.


Got to start my track down into the Ayung River, will write some more soon. Need to make a note to myself to get a travel IdeaPad next time!

Love, day 2 from Ubud Hanging Gardens.


Retrospectively speaking...

We got up for a short hike down at the Ayung River, and as I thought about how easy everything seemed to work in unison here. Was the secret to eternal happiness buried amongst these piles of leaves and flowers, shrouded by the morning mist as we listened intently to the humming of the jungle. Up above us, swallows flew in high numbers, and it was the perfect moment to just do... absolutely nothing.

Of course being silly city people, we did exactly the opposite. My lovely man hiked over the little bamboo bridge and caught another trail into the jungle. Yours truly decided the river was too tempting to jump in but with her camera gears, might seemed to be too lofty an idea. So she settled to shooting it instead.

By the time it took us to hike back, I was famished. Prancing around like a testosterone-induced bull, I tore into the best two-seater table overlooking the Ayung Valley, with the Pura Penataran Dalem Segara temple overlooking from the opposite hill. The morning fare was mediocre to be honest. I didn't think the honeymooners are here for the food. This place made it easy to coddle the potion of love in your bosoms while you get a back rub from your loveliest. It did feel like a romantic getaway without the fake, plastic feel of manufactured L.O.V.E. in a bottle. Get it?


We made our way to Kota Ubud, the town centre that consisted a heady brew of traffic, tourists, stalls, music, own temples and palaces, and your ever present "taxi!" peddlers hollering at you. We took our hotel's shuttle bus and this was a hell ride of 30 minutes through up and down hill roads. It was amazing we (or our bus) didn't kill anything along the way. At one point, I thought we were plunging towards the open padi fields, sending the helpless (and irritated) village ducks a-flying. Thankfully that was purely kept within the horror chambers of my imagination. These Balinese people can drive!

A visit to Kota Ubud would not be complete without sampling the infamous babi guling and at Ibu Oka's we did. It was as popular as described, just let your nose took over the hunt. Imitation is the best compliment but do not try to think you can go fast and forfeit the wait by going to others. It's Ibu Oka's or nothing.

After a hot afternoon of grub and coke (the drink, silly), we meandered our way down the roads and did the usual beer stops, bargaining (got some cool traditional musical instruments that formed the gamelan) and even braved a local "pijat". Not quite your temple of heavenly respite from the hot sun, no water running through a gentle stream, no feet wash, just hard core, communist-styled pounding on the flesh. When my tiny masseuse punched (literally) my sole, I thought all of my metatarsus had disintegrated forever. Of course I was being offered the complimentary "you want more strong?" that was rapidly answered with a bevy of chorused out "no!" from the both of us. Yes, these ladies can make even a grown up man cry. It was all fun, seriously. For a good bargain, we even got to take a flower bath!

Emerging fresh from the beer by the padi field and the flesh grinder, we gingerly walked down the Monkey Forest Road. And it was... the monkey forest! One bugger tried to swaddle off my bag of toys but you got to show them who was the boss by "emanating" smells of leadership. Was any MBA class done this way?

By now, it was time to make our way past the monkey forest up to Hanuman Road which we went for our kecak performance, fire trance included. I had written more in the subsequent entry. This is one thing you got to see it to be hypnotized by it.