Thursday, December 18, 2008

...Who's There?


Character is itself a fortune.
- Samuel Smiles, Scotland

When she knocks, open the door. So I was told. Ever since I began bringing to life my board's business plan, I have been lucky to have friends who gave away freely valuable advice to help me walk the way, albeit my own butterflies in the stomach. There is nothing to be gained by them yet we believe in sharing knowledge, giving unconditionally, that we receive in return. Friendship, trust, good karma.

There seems to be a non-stop churn of things to read up, understand, put into action, working on your own is a complete whirlpool of exhausting projects. It's easy to overwork yourself and we are just at the setting up stage! But as I have mentioned previously, the kind of focus that it gives you is second to none that you can find from a dull, well paying 9-5 rat race plough. My mind is constantly projecting and ticking off things to be done, prioritising my schedule. My body is pushing myself to get out there, network and connect, share and receive. My heart tells me to never give up.

To give the cherry as a freebie, my worst case scenario is actually a lovely Plan B!

Running your own freelance business is damn hard stuff but it's so worth it. If a nervous bee like me can keep the rhythm going, you bet you can hack it too! If you ever need any encouragement, just learn to filter the white noise and keep telling yourself that when you hear that knock, yes, you do take up risk by opening it but it's contained, it's calculated and in the end, at least you don't live your life by looking back and wondering "what if?".

Just when I thought I'll be going Hans Solo, I've been hooked up to meet some graphic design firms that are looking to hire. I'm very blessed to be able (and by that I mean prudent financial planning) to afford to not be coerced to reject a job because it pays junior rates. The experience and exposure are invaluable. At the end, it isn't the end, it's the means to an end that I am intending to keep redefining along the way.

Open it. Don't wait for the wolf to huff and puff it away. Better face it up right, maybe that's the reason that dad insisted I put a baseball bat in my car. Be prepared in any situation and make the best, even out of your worst case scenario.