Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Guts Of Glory!


Feel the fear and do it anyway.
- Susan Jeffers, LA

I thought I'll be good today and ordered a healthy leafy plate of greens amassing over chicken slices, avocado, cranberries and roasted turkey bacon. After 10 forceful forkful mouths, I couldn't push anything in anymore, and that was 4pm ago.

Right now I'm getting ready for dinner outside and main criteria is somewhere I can have a decent glass of wine to just chill my brains. I know that the "unplanned" plan does exist and in retrospect it works out the best, but I'm completely bowled over by an apparition-liked "ping" moment on what I will be working on after sussing out the answer to the "what's your tag?" question for 6 months. The worst and most discouraging criticism was "you'll find that this is a wrong cuppa when you're shelving it under the bridge" and in true form to myself, I went out to do exactly what they had cautioned me to not do, just to prove that guts of steel do take you that far.

I mean, really... how do you know if there is a bear in the cave? One way to find out.

And so I found myself finding out the good, the bad, and the ugly of freelancing. Suddenly my list noted 7 items to do to set up a private limited. I had two back-to-back pages of a mock of my business card. I had to review my cash standing to fire up the oven.

It's exhilarating to finally throw in all the spices, after the dozens of recipe books I've poured my money on, and to see the ambers of the coals cooking up the magic concoction. All is at stake, perfection makes me nauseous, and I'm feeling the fear of excitement.

I could just tell myself that I really want to be just doodling illustration on my Mac. Or I could start off from pro bono work to create references for bigger jobs in graphic design. I am officially not the owner of Adobe CS4 until this Saturday, I have yet to trade up to my iMac from MacBook Pro. But those are really small matters right? I am waiting for the first client to call back in case we can meet in between to form a win-win situation. She's a low budget marketeer, and I'm good on getting a useful corporate reference in return for quality design work.

Can one master Illustrator in a weekend?

Only one way to find out...