Tuesday, December 9, 2008

(My) High School Musical


It's the friends that you can call up at 4am that matter.
- Marlene Dietrich, Germany

There are many times I do wonder where did the years go. I have done my fair share of 4am, calling and being called. During the years when it was quite expensive talking on the phone, friendships had also bloomed. Now, in the age of Skype and Facebook, blogs and emails, I feel very lucky to still have friends that I have known, lost touch, got back in touch and as if those donkeys never really meant anything except that they made our sharing sessions that richer, be it over a game of badminton, friends' wedding banquets (how do you think I last through to desserts?) and a short email wishing happy birthday.

One had been there for me during the roughest times but the best times of my life too. She was protective, a loyal friend that nobody could ask for more. Despite very different time zones, many a jet lag, we just catch up right there. I will never say no to her and I trust she gives back the same. Another was my twin, we went back to when I had a real bad high school crush on the school's swimming coach (he was also 2 years my geeky years), and we shared impossible jokes over chicken wings, mixing soda, and jumping into the club's pool with our hair filled with shampoo because the showers were out. Another was a pal that out-talked anybody yet he shivered when I gave him the look of "time's up". He's a great entrepreneur star, someone I totally believe that he's made for this role from day one. I'm so glad that he's decided to leave 9-5 and go form his own company (second time, the much braver and luckier!). He taught me a lot of this road, he gave me unbiased advice and help that I really could have to beg from elsewhere.

Going back to high school was a bit bumpy to be honest. There were those that I thought would have moved on yet trampled amongst their broken skeletons and ranted endlessly.

I only have to look at these cookies friends I have and just smile. I like the tune I am marching to.