Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Peeve

Do we really want to get it right?
- Author, Home

As with all end of the year's toasts, most of us, could at least recall one party that some goon (probably fueled with a lot of rocket fuel, no pun) proposed a toast to the upcoming year and another chance to get it right (again). But is the obsession of doing it again, trying it out another time, your second chance... all that significant to waste another year to doing it "right"?

What is right anyhow by anyone's term?

How about just giving it all right to what you're doing right now? I look back at 2008 and it feels like one heck of a food processor ride. A little bit of everything thrown in and the whipping button gets pressed hard. You see that cloud of mess jumps frantically up and down the glass jug and then only to find out once the top is opened, the most wonderful, glorious smell welcomes your nose. And when you mix it with some soda water, it actually tastes damn good!

At least that was what I experienced when I made my own home-brewed lychee lemongrass and lime concoction. Now, do I want to do it right again? Would I be able to seriously replicate the same formula, even if I measure things to the dime (I didn't the first time, in case you are curious).

I only toast with a real pipe of champagne, but here I'll make an exception.

Get out there and get yourself a decent glass, and toast to your just doing it right, no matter what right means. At the end of it all, we really do reap the most from being just honest, getting it "right", mistakes and all.

Have a fantastic one and the days to come!